Thursday, November 6, 2008

Turkey Trot and Dairy Air Dash

I may as well warn my readers: This one gets a little personal......

Bummer. According to the www.laveen.org website, the Turkey Trot and Dairy Air Dash are being held on Saturday, November 22nd. Unfortunately, this is the same day as the huge El Tour de Tucson century ride, which always takes place the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. And I am committed to always riding in El Tour, as it's a far more challenging event.

What happened to the "Turkey Trot" occurring on "Turkey Day?" I was really looking forward to registering this year, since last year Catherine and I weren't able to make it. And I thought the attendance was higher than expected last year, which seems like a relative success..... so, I guess I can guiltily hope that the attendance is LOWER this year.... but that just makes me seem disloyal to my community. You understand that I'm not, right? I'm just a tad selfish.

But I guess we all make choices. It reminds me of last year, when I chose to go to the UA/ASU basketball game in Tucson, rather than attend the Laveen BBQ. I'm still repenting over that one, although I can't help being a die hard Wildcat (with season tickets). Oh well, I will still encourage others to get involved - just like last year......

1 comment:

PTB said...

According to Shelley with the LCC, the scheduling change was due to a lack of volunteer support last year - not runner participation.

Think about it..... your typical community activist/volunteer is also usually the person putting on the big feast for their family! this points to the more global issue about bringing in new blood for such organizations.

How about it, can I request that readers pitch in for next year? If you're taking the time to read my blog, then you are probably younger.... and headed to Mom and Dad's or Grandma and Grandpa's for turkey day. Right? Then, please help!

That brings up another point: Is anyone taking the time to read my blog?